A LOOK BACK AT DFA 2021
Please enjoy these still images from DFA Session 1 – Spring 2021 held in Omaha, Nebraska
DFA is THE way to start your career.
You’ve studied, you’ve tested, you’ve passed your exams.
You’ve survived clinics, but are you ready for practicing in the real world?
DFA gives you the practical tools that you need to not only survive but thrive.
Please note that this course is designed for veterinary students and is not
RACE-approved. You will not receive a certificate of completion when finished
with this course.
DFA SESSION DATES
DFA PROVIDES THE SOLUTION TO YOUR MENTORSHIP NEEDS
Doctor Finishing Academy is a unique mentorship program created for newly graduated and associate veterinarians comprised of 3 parts:
- DFA Drip Learning: small pieces of information delivered to you weekly
- DFA Interactive: in-person training to solidify your knowledge including:
* Tissue Handling
* Client Communication (physical exam and frequently used canned speeches)
- DFA Community: during practice, help is always there for you with the ability to
reconnect with your mentors and peers via our social media networks
The experience and knowledge you will acquire is critical to a healthy, financially rewarding and productive career in veterinary medicine.
choose your perspective!
Doctor Finishing Academy bridges the gap between vet school and successful practice. DFA is the way to jump-start your career. Our goal is for you to be comfortable and reduce stress from day 1 in practice. We do this by delivering information and resources that would take years to learn by trial and error. We don’t just cover topics and provide information.
We take your success to the next level using live interactive scenarios with real clients and team members. These real-life discussions will solidify your knowledge and abilities.
We teach things you won’t find in veterinary school like:
- Practical Communication
- The Business of Veterinary Medicine
- Mental, Emotional and Financial Wellness
- Student Loan Repayment Programs and Your Insurance Needs
- Efficiency in Practice
- Table Side Manner
DFA is delivered in 3 parts:
- DFA Drip Taught
- DFA Interactive
- DFA Community
DFA Drip Taught
You will receive 32 “drips” of information during the first few months of enrollment leading up to your in-person visit to DFA.
These drips of video, audio, and text take approximately 10 minutes to finish and can be completed with your mobile device, tablet or computer.
With DFA Drip Taught, we deliver everything that can possibly be delivered virtually, without requiring your presence in a classroom. This streamlines your time in DFA Interactive or in virtual meetings!
- You’re busy! 4th year is a busy time and you don’t have time for hours of additional reading!
- Learning science tells us that knowledge retention is at its best when the material is broken into small, digestible chunks and delivered consistently and repetitively.
- We are delivering complex and novel materials, so it takes some time to take in. We want you to have reviewed the materials before you arrive on our campus so we can focus on interactive conversation, not a lecture.
You will then come to Texas for one long weekend in a group with 7 other like-minded recent graduates. At DFA Interactive we focus on live, hands-on interaction. No classrooms or lectures!
DFA Interactive contains 3 disciplines:
- Tissue Handling – The basis of successful surgery is tissue handling. There is no more sensitive tissue than gingiva! Our tissue handling wetlabs focus on practical dentistry, which not only improve your dentistry skills, but also improve your tissue handling and thus surgery skills. Tissue Handling is taught by a 3rd year dental resident and is packed with practical information.
- Improv – These sessions deliver a ton of laughs, but also greatly improve your exam room skills. Thinking on your feet and active listening are skills that need to be honed to be successful in the exam room. There is no better way to develop these skills but to practice while having fun!
- Practical Communication – The key to communication training is that it has to be practical. We deliver materials that can be used immediately. We will prepare your communications, in the form of canned speeches for common conditions that you will see daily. This preparation makes you more comfortable and efficient in the exam rooms! We provide these speeches and then you tailor them to your preferences. You will practice them live – around an exam room table; there is no substitute for repetitions!
While at DFA Interactive, we follow a regimented schedule, but also allow ample time for mindfulness, thought and self-discovery. We have a number of successful veterinarians and technicians whose true skills are to teach and mentor.
- You will engage in Socratic discussion around the topics that were delivered via drip teaching, to solidify your understanding of them.
- You will undergo live role-playing in real client and team member scenarios that you will encounter in practice. These will be recorded and analyzed so you can perfect your table-side manner.
- We will guide you through the development of plans for your career, finances, work-life balance and happiness.
- You will practice efficiency skills and leverage technology to save time and become more productive in practice.
- You will discover mindfulness and meditation techniques to help you through stressful and difficult times that are inevitable.
- You will likely bond with members of your Academy for support, accountability, and guidance through the early stages of your career.
After your time on our campus, you will continue to receive drips to help and solidify the information you learned at DFA in your early practice career. As you see these situations play out in real life, it’s helpful to have a consistent source of information to rely on.
Your Academy members and mentors will form a self-sustaining support group, for cases and issues that arise, medically, surgically, personally, financially and professionally. A positive and supportive tribe is essential for your continued success.
The first year of practice is tough on recent veterinary graduates. It’s been long said that they aren’t “practice-ready.” But what’s missing?
Your new hire needs additional training and information to become successful in your practice. There are gaps in the veterinary school curriculum around the issues of leadership, business, communication, and efficiency.
Why? Because veterinary schools have to prepare graduates for a variety of career paths, not only private practice. Maybe they’ve determined that on-the-job-training will give new graduates the skills they need to flourish.
We want to give your new associate the right mindset to succeed. We fill the gaps in the education process and give them the skills and tools they need to jump-start their career.
Fortunately, the skills they need are uniform across practice types, and we provide the discussions, role-playing, and support that make it convenient for them and make them ready to produce for you.
We give them the confidence they need to grow and develop under your mentorship moving forward.
From the time they graduate, until they receive their license, we prepare them towards being practice-ready.
We give them financial and wellness tools for longevity. We can provide their support and backstop for your mentorship, so they are never alone or unsupported in their career.
Lastly, we give them a jump start to get them a boost up the production curve faster and more efficiently. We are confident that your investment in DFA will provide great returns in a more productive and happier team member.
Location: Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas
Our final schedule and event details are currently being developed to adjust to the COVID-19 pandemic and to ensure the safety and well-being of all participants. Please contact us at email@example.com with any questions you may have regarding Doctor Finishing Academy.
See what these participants had to say about their DFA experience
Dr. Ying Ngo
“I was really looking for good sustained mentorship that can last beyond veterinary school. I would highly recommend DFA for anyone finishing veterinary school or transitioning in their veterinary career.”
Dr. Morgan Bozydaj-Teems
“They’ve got great advice for new veterinary school graduates. The time here has been very beneficial and you’re going to get a lot out of it.”
Dr. Katelyn Thille Bordelon
“My employer really recommended DFA, it’s been real beneficial. I’ve built so much confidence here.”
Dr. Desmond Koo
“DFA has been really great and beneficial for me and my colleagues here. It’s been like a mini-bootcamp to get us to that next level and becoming a real veterinarian.”
To receive further information including how to register for our 2022 DFA session please click on the image below
MEET YOUR MENTORS
Dr. Lance Roasa, DVM, MS, JD
Dr. Lance Roasa is a 2008 graduate of Texas A&M where he was the first student to undertake a 4th year business-track, spending the majority of his clinical training in veterinary business and industry. In 2016 he completed a law degree from the University of Nebraska with training centered on the law of small business, taxation and the law of veterinary medicine. He has owned and managed multiple veterinary practices and teaches law, ethics, career development and veterinary business to students in over a dozen vet schools every year.
Dr. Drew Olson, DVM
A 2012 Iowa State Veterinary College graduate, Dr. Drew Olson has practiced in small and large animal clinics, and has considerable experience in the veterinary compounding medicine industry. An Omaha native, he is regarded as one of the nation’s leading veterinarians in compounding specialized veterinary medications. Be sure and ask Dr. Olson about his experience with retired circus elephants or his participation as a veterinary student in Frontier Vets, a documentary filmed in the remote region of Kruger Park in South Africa. Drew resides in Omaha with his wife, Karin, their daughter Olive and their son Dalton. They enjoy spending time with friends, family, and their rescue dog, Faith.